The Avera St. Anthony’s Hospital Surgery Department consists of three large surgical suites and two recovery rooms for first stage recovery. The outpatient surgery area consists of four rooms used for admitting, second stage recovery, and dismissal of patients.
The recent remodeling of the department has greatly enhanced the staff’s ability to accommodate more patients in a more comfortable setting. The highly skilled and trained surgical staff assists with general surgeries and specialized procedures.
Surgeries and Procedures
The surgical staff, available 24/7 with on call services, includes:
- On staff general surgeon, Anthony Akainda, M.D.
- Outreach clinical doctors
- Family practice doctors
- RNs (many with certifications in peri-anesthesia and operating room procedures)
- Operating Room Technician & Paramedic
- Certified Scrub Technician & Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician
- Anesthesia services provided by North Central Anesthesia Services
Same Day Surgery
Same day surgery may be performed for patients with a qualifying diagnosis. Patients will undergo the surgical procedure required and return home the same day. Many patients find having minor procedures done with same day surgery, gives them the ability to recover in the comfort of their own home.
Coming to Avera St. Anthony’s for Surgery?
Items to bring from home on the day of your surgery:
- Medication list
- List of allergies
- Medicare and/or insurance card
- Personal items such as toiletries, glasses or contact lens cases, denture cups
- Robe or slippers if an overnight stay is required
- Living will or power of attorney, if desired
For more information regarding surgery contact the Surgery Department or Becky Koenig, Director of Surgery at (402) 336-5124.