Breast Cancer will affect an average of one in eight women sometime in their lifetime. It is the second most common cause of cancer related deaths in women. Mammograms play a central part in the early detection of breast cancer because they can detect changes in the breast that may be early signs of cancer, but are too small or subtle to be felt. The use of mammography has greatly enhanced the ability to detect breast cancers at earlier stages.
Avera St. Benedict Health Center is pleased to offer state of the art Digital Mammography, the most advanced technology available to detect breast cancer.
It captures the most detailed images possible and offers physicians more viewing options for the earliest, most accurate detection of cancer. Images are transmitted quickly over a network to interpreting radiologists. They review the electronic images using special high-resolution monitors. The physician can adjust the brightness, change contrast, and zoom in for close-ups of specific areas of interest. Being able to manipulate images is one of the main benefits of digital mammography.
From a patient's point of view, having a digital mammogram is very much like having a conventional screen-film mammogram. Both film-based and digital mammography use compression and x-rays to create clear images of the inside of the breast. Advantages of digital mammography include:
- A clearer image and greater accuracy
- Quicker exam times without increased radiation
- Schedule your own appointment, no referral necessary
- Fully accredited mammography programs with certified mammography technologists
- Additional state-of-the-art technology for accurate diagnosis, such as breast ultrasound
- Image-guided breast biopsy technology for further diagnosis
- We are a "Softer Mammogram" Provider. Our facility provides every woman with the MammoPad breast cushion-a soft, foam pad that creates a cushion between you and mammography machine.
Early Detection is the key to breast cancer. Our primary goal has always been to deliver the highest quality care to our patients. Digital Mammography provides a better, healthier future for women, a more productive future made possible by information integration and a future platform for ongoing innovation,
To schedule a mammogram, call: Central Registration 1-605-928-4425