Volunteers provide a wide range of services at Avera St. Luke’s. Assignments are based on your interests, skills and schedule, and how they mesh with our needs. Most volunteers prefer a set schedule where they work one shift a week; others prefer to be on-call to fill in as substitutes. Some jobs require movement throughout the hospital; others are more stationary. Some include patient contact; others do not.
Below is a general list of volunteer positions. If any of these positions spark your interest, please stop in or call 605-622-5140 for more information or to sign up.
- Blood Drives: Avera St. Luke’s hosts three blood drives each year. Volunteers help with registration and refreshments.
- Blood Pressure Screenings: Volunteers help with blood pressure screenings at various locations throughout the community.
- Craft Group: Volunteers make items to be sold in our Gift Shop.
- Education: Volunteers make packets for patient education and community education programs. They also help with registration for various screenings throughout the community.
- Escort Service: Escorts are stationed in the hospital lobbies to greet, escort, and orient outpatients and visitors to various areas in the hospital. They take calls from hospital departments to help with interdepartmental errands, such as deliveries of medical records, and deliver flowers that are brought in for patients.
- Gift Shop: The Gift Shop is an Auxiliary fundraiser that is totally staffed by volunteers.
- Hospice: North Plains Hospice provides services to terminally ill patients. Volunteers provide direct care, fundraising, and office support.
- Hospitality House: Volunteers staff the Auxiliary Guest House to help guests throughout their stay.
- ICU: Volunteers host the visitor desk in our Intensive Care Unit, helping visitors and coordinating their visits with patients and staff.
- Knitters: Volunteers knit caps for patients who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy or surgery.
- Information Desk: Volunteers staff the information desks to help visitors and patients with directions, room numbers, and other questions.
- Mail Delivery: Volunteers sort and deliver mail to patient’s rooms.
- Nutrition and Food Services: Volunteers assist Nutrition and Food Services.
- Miscellaneous: Some departments request office or other miscellaneous support from volunteers. Examples of this are helping with tagging supplies, stuffing envelopes, clipping newspaper articles, helping with fundraising events and various duties in therapy departments.
- Chaplaincy: Volunteers help in the Chaplaincy Department in the roles of Sacristan, Eucharistic ministers and office support.
- Sewing Group: Volunteers make Christmas stockings for babies born during the holiday season and finger puppets for children in Radiology and Emergency.
- Surgery Hospitality Room: Volunteers assist families of patients in surgery and serve coffee and pastries to them. They relay information from Surgery to the families.
- Therapy Departments: Volunteers provide assistance to therapists by overseeing children, preparing and cleaning equipment, escorting patients and helping with receptionist duties.
- Tray Favor Group: This group meets on Friday mornings to make individual tray favors to be used on all patient food trays at least once a month and for all holidays.
If you are interested in volunteering at Avera St. Luke’s, and for current openings, please contact Laura Sangster at 605-622-5140. The Volunteer Office is located at 305 S. State St., Aberdeen, SD, in the West Lobby (Visitors' Entrance) of the hospital. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.