Avera Endoscopy Surgical Center
310 S. Penn St.
Aberdeen, SD 57401
At Avera Endoscopy Surgical Center, our goal is quality patient care. Endoscopy is a broad term used to describe examining the inside of the body using a lighted, flexible instrument called an endoscope. In general, an endoscope is introduced into the body through a natural opening. Although endoscopy can include examination of other organs, the most common endoscopic procedures evaluate the esophagus (our swallowing tube), the stomach or the intestine.
We offer comprehensive services including prevention, diagnosis, consultation, screening and treatment. Our excellent endoscopy facilities include three procedure rooms, each equipped with:
- Olympus video endoscopy equipment
- Automatic vitals monitor including blood pressure, oximeter and cardiac monitor
- Cautery (used to remove polyps during the procedure)
- Registered nurse present during all procedures
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy to 60 cm
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Esophageal dilation with tungsten-filled, wire-guided or balloon dilators
- Polypectomy during all procedures
- Biopsies during all procedures
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube placement
- PEG replacement
- Button placement
- PH study
Our center is staffed with Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certified registered nurses who help patients during their admission and recovery times, as well as assisting physicians during endoscopic procedures. We also have an endoscopy technician dedicated to the care of the equipment.
Avera Endoscopy Surgical Center is located on the east side of Avera St. Luke's Hospital's main campus, at 310 S. Penn St., Suite 201. The center is on the second floor of the hospital's East Wing.
Physicians who regularly utilize the Endoscopy Surgical Center are surgeons, internal medicine specialists and family practice physicians. All will accept referrals as their schedules allow.