We are available to assist you 24 hours a day. If you are in the hospital, simply dial 0 and ask for a chaplain. If you are outside the hospital, dial 605-622-5000. Other information regarding our Chaplaincy Team:
- Serve persons of all denominations and faiths, from Catholic to Protestant to Native American and more.
- Provide spiritual assessments and documentation.
- Members of the health care team, serving on interdisciplinary committees.
- Provide empathetic listening to one who is experiencing spiritual or emotional distress.
- Assist in crisis intervention.
- Provide religious rituals such as anointing, communion, prayer or blessings.
- Offer support and spiritual counseling to patients and their families.
- Offer grief ministry and counseling.
- Contact community clergy as requested.
- Provide ethics consultation and counseling.
- Provide Home Health and Hospice visits to patient’s homes.
- Facilitate unit patient support groups.
- Facilitate discussion and planning for Advance Directives.
- Provide bereavement calls to families who have lost loved ones.
- Offer informational and inspirational pamphlets and material.
- Offer educational programs to staff and the community.
Avera St. Luke's Chaplaincy Department operates under a shared leadership model. Rev. Gary Compton is director of Chaplaincy, and Sister Pat Prunty serves as Chaplaincy coordinator.
Our full-time chaplains are nationally board-certified. Local pastors and lay ministers serve as consultants and are on call. Several volunteers provide our Communion ministry and serve as department secretary staff.