BirthPlace at Avera St. Luke's
We encourage breastfeeding whenever possible. We have an internationally board certified lactation consultant available to answer questions about the benefits of breastfeeding and offer support for new and expecting mothers. The number of babies born at Avera St. Luke's who breastfeed exceeds the 81.5% goal of Healthy People 2020. Our lactaction services are free - we're here to help!
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding holds many benefits for not only a mom and her baby, but also for the family, community and environment around us.
Benefits for Your Baby
- Fewer respiratory infections (colds, pneumonia, RSV, etc.)
- Fewer upset stomachs and less diarrhea
- Fewer ear infections
- Fewer allergies (eczema, foods, etc.)
- Less chance of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Better response to infant vaccination
Benefits for Mom
- Conserves a family's financial resources
- Decreased risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancer
- Provides a unique bonding experience
- Promotes postpartum weight loss
- Less time spent at the store purchasing formula
Benefits for Environment and the Community
There are many other benefits to breastfeeding. Not using formula reduces the amount of wasted materials, benefiting the environment. It also benefits the community by encouraging healthier children so others won't become sick as easily in daycare or school. Best of all, breastfeeding promotes a close bond between a mom and her baby thanks to the close contact and human touch necessary.
If you have questions or would like more information about breastfeeding, call 605-622-5567 or email BirthPlace lactation consultant Kim Richter at email@example.com.