BirthPlace at Avera St. Luke's
Our Team has the Experience You Want
We provide a safe and comfortable environment and give you access to experts who are prepared to help you at any hour. Our experienced team of obstetrics/gynecology specialists, pediatricians and family physicians specializes in taking care of you.
Should you experience a serious complication of pregnancy, your physician can refer you and/or your baby to a Level III perinatal center. Outpatient and inpatient care is available when pregnancy risk factors occur prior to labor and delivery.
Here are some ways we make you and your baby safer during your stay at the BirthPlace at Avera St. Luke's Hospital:
- Our Single Room Maternity Care rooms are located near our central Level II Nursery for babies who require special care.
- Central monitoring in the patient rooms allows us to monitor Mom's and baby's heart rates from the nurse's station and from your physician's home or office.
- An internationally board-certified lactation consultant is on staff to answer your questions and provide education about breastfeeding your baby.
- All nurses are cross-trained and qualified to help you during and after labor, as well as care for your baby. Our RNs are also certified in the AHA and AAP's Neonatal Resuscitation Program and in the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses' fetal heart monitoring program. In 2003, our maternity nursing staff received the Johnson's Childbirth Nursing Award Certificate of Recognition celebrating the care and support given to our patients.
- Social work services, nutritional counseling, spiritual care, fertility care services, services and counseling for adoptive parents and those experiencing infant or fetal loss are also available.