Skip to Main Content

St. Michael’s Hospital Avera and Bon Homme Family Practice Clinics Avera

As St. Michael’s Hospital Avera/Bon Homme Family Practice Clinics Avera staff, we strive to respond to those in pain and distress “as if they were Christ Himself.”

Mission Statement

It is the mission of St. Michael’s Hospital Avera and the Bon Homme Family Practice Clinics Avera to provide readily accessible care to the people of Bon Homme County and the surrounding area. In keeping with the tradition and the heritage of the Catholic Church, St. Michael’s will aim to promote the physical, mental, social and spiritual health of all its patients. The healthcare centers will continue to offer quality services based on community needs and fiscal solvency.

History

St. Michael’s Hospital Avera originated in 1949 in the Dr. H. Klima home. A new hospital was constructed in 1950 through the generosity of the local community. A hospital addition and extensive remodeling were completed in 1968, which allowed the original hospital beds to be converted to nursing home beds. 

St. Michael's Hospital Avera

St. Michael’s Hospital Avera was leased by the City of Tyndall to the Benedictine Sisters of Sacred Heart Monastery of Yankton from 1949 to 1995. The 1965 addition to the north of the original structure was formerly used as the living quarters for the sisters from Sacred Heart Monastery. 

The original structure of St. Michael’s, owned by the City of Tyndall, is now leased to St. Michael’s Hospital, Inc. 

St. Michael’s Hospital Avera has been a Catholic institution since 1949, shortly after its beginning. The Catholic identity, initiated by the Benedictine Sisters, is now derived from a relationship with the Sioux Falls Catholic Diocese. 

St. Michael’s Hospital Avera is currently a twenty-five-bed acute care hospital with swingbeds and a home health agency. 

Bon Homme Family Practice Clinic Avera

Bon Homme Family Practice Clinic Avera, a wholly-owned subsidiary of St. Michael’s Hospital, operates two rural health clinics located in Tyndall and Avon. The Tyndall Clinic was built in 1964 by Robert J. Foley, and was purchased by St. Michael’s Hospital, Inc., in 1991. The Avon Facility, built in 1993 by the Avon Chamber of Commerce, is now owned by the City of Avon and has been operated by Bon Homme Family Practice Avera since it was first opened in 1993. 

Values

As St. Michael’s Hospital Avera/Bon Homme Family Practice Clinic Avera staff, we strive to respond to those in pain and distress “as if they were Christ Himself.” We consider these three values as central to our carrying out this mission:

Awareness of God

We recognize the presence of God in our patients and their families, our work, our coworkers, and our community. 

Community

As a community, we seek to build a trusting and loving relationship with God, with our patients, with our coworkers, and with the communities we serve.

We seek this sense of community through loyalty and support for St. Michael’s Hospital Avera/Bon Homme Family Practice Clinics Avera and our coworkers, through collaboration with each other, through positive attitudes toward our jobs and our fellow man, and through stewardship, a careful use of our time and resources.

Hospitality

At St. Michael’s Hospital Avera/Bon Homme Family Practice Clinics Avera, we believe hospitality is welcoming those we serve and those we work with as though they were Christ. Our hospitality is evident by our warmth and our personableness to those we encounter and by our taking the initiative to anticipate another’s needs – our willingness to “go the extra mile.”