2017 Employee Giving Campaign
Watch the Employee Campaign video
Changing Lives Together
Thank you for supporting the 2017-2018 Employee Giving Campaign at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center. Your gifts further the Gospel values of compassion, hospitality and stewardship that we live and work by each day.
When you make a gift, you strengthen our people, facilities and healing ministry. You validate our history, secure the future and ensure quality health care is available to all.
Make a Pledge
Avera McKennan has created a way for employees to donate unused paid time off (PTO) to the Foundation in support of the Employee Giving Campaign which benefits our patients, employees and community. Simply read over the procedure below and complete the donation form.
- The PTO Donation policy would follow similar guidelines as the PTO Cash Out policy. Currently, employees have the option to receive compensation for accrued PTO without taking time away from work. To be eligible, employees must:
- Be currently eligible to accrue PTO.
- Have taken at least 2 pay periods of scheduled PTO during the past 12-month period (including holiday and short-term sick time) in order to promote health and well-being.
- Maintain a minimum of 120 hours of PTO in their PTO bank after donation (to provide for short-term illness & possible emergencies).
- Total PTO to be donated must be a minimum of 8 hrs and may not exceed 80 hrs/calendar year.
- Requests to donate PTO are due to Human Resources by June 15. The Payroll Department will process PTO donations on the first pay period following the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1).
- Donated PTO will be cashed out at 100% of the employee’s current base rate of pay.
- Once PTO time is donated to the Avera McKennan Foundation, it cannot be reclaimed.
- Please be aware that donation of PTO hours are taxable under IRS rules. Avera will report your donation as taxable wages on your payroll check in order to withhold the appropriate taxes. The Avera McKennan Foundation encourages you to consult with your tax professional if you have questions regarding the tax treatment of your donation.
PTO Donation Form
- Because every dollar makes a difference! Your gift supports programs and services that wouldn't exist if it weren't for donations. Funds donated to the foundation support a variety of needs including equipment, education, patient and employee financial assistance and more.
- It’s easy! Choose employee payroll deduction, check, cash or credit card and we take care of the rest. Please ask your leader for your personalized giving form. Forms may be turned in to your leader, deposited into the 5 Star Care boxes or may be delivered/mailed to:
- Avera McKennan Foundation
Plaza 4, Suite 205
1325 S. Cliff Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5045
- It’s your opportunity to support projects that impact your own workplace, co-workers and the people we serve every day.
What is the campaign goal amount?
Our 2017 goal is $465,000. We can do it with your help!
When is this year's campaign?
The Employee Giving Campaign is March 13-27, 2017. Payroll deductions will appear on pay vouchers starting in July, 2017.
Is this the same thing as the United Way?
The Avera McKennan Employee Giving Campaign and United Way are not the same thing. While Avera does benefit from United Way programs and services, it is NOT part of the Avera McKennan Employee Giving Campaign. All gifts to the Employee Giving Campaign directly benefit Avera and the patients, families and employees we serve. We encourage employees to support both campaigns if they are able.
How can I make a gift?
Employees can fill out their personalized giving form or make a pledge online and login using your system credentials. Employees can choose to give through payroll deduction, a one-time gift of cash, check or use a credit card.
Am I able to donate my Paid Time Off (PTO)?
Yes! Employees have the option to donate accrued PTO to the foundation. The PTO Donation Policy follows similar guidelines as the PTO Cash Out Policy. Please be aware that PTO donations will be taken entirely from your first paycheck in July, 2017, and that donated PTO hours are taxable under IRS rules. For more information on donating PTO, please contact the foundation at 605-322-8900.
How much should I give?
Choosing to give is an important and personal decision. What might be an appropriate gift will differ from person to person. We have several giving options available. You can give any amount of $1 or more per payroll period or you can give through a one-time donation/deduction.
Who will decide how to spend my donation?
You do! Choose the area of support that interests or impacts you OR choose to designate your gift to the Unrestricted fund and let us put your dollars to work where the need is greatest. You may direct your donation to any of the established funds set up within the Avera McKennan Foundation. The back of your pledge card includes a list of popular funds or for a complete list, see giving options.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Contributions to the Avera McKennan Foundation are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
How do I become eligible for the prize drawings?
Your completed and turned in pledge form will serve as your entry into the weekly prize drawings. The last date to turn in a card and be eligible for prizes is April 18 at 5 p.m. Remember: the earlier you submit your completed form, the more chances you have to win!
What do I need to do if I am an on-going giver?
Thank you for your gift! If you would like to continue your current contributions without changes, you do not need to do anything. Your current deductions will remain the same for the following year and your name will automatically be included in all prize drawings. If you would like to make changes or increase your donation, please do so and return your card to the foundation office. Your pledge will be adjusted accordingly.
I'm an on-going giver, where is my new badge clip?
Badge clips are distributed via inter-office mail the week prior to the campaign launch. If you didn’t receive yours, please contact the foundation office at 605-322-8900.
If I do not donate, do I need to return my pledge card?
If you do not wish to support this year's giving campaign, please check the "I elect not to give at this time" check box on your pledge form and return it to your leader or the Avera McKennan Foundation office. By checking this box and returning your card, we are assured that you had the opportunity to make a gift in support of the campaign. PLUS, you could still win one of the great weekly prizes if you return your completed card!
Who should I contact with other questions?
Please contact the Avera McKennan Foundation at 605-322-8900 or email us.
Your Gifts at Work
Gifts to support Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center touch the lives of patients and families in our community every day. Here are some of the ways your gifts have made a difference in the past year.
|FY 2016 Foundation Disbursements
|Avera Prince of Peace
|Cancer Programs & Services
|Patient & Employee Assistance
|Behavioral Health Services
|Hospice Care & Services
|Walsh Family Village
|Women's & Children's
|Education, Scholarships and Grants