Celebrate Pumpkin Spice Day with This Healthy Latte
This national festival revels in the flavors of pumpkin spice. They certainly are everywhere each fall in America.
While some love this spicy-sweet treat, it does have a shady side, so to speak. A Starbucks 16-ounce version of this drink has 288 calories, 54 grams of carbs and 50 grams of sugar. That much sugar adds up over the course of a full autumn of enjoyment.
Make this drink at home to cut calories to 76, carbs down to 6 grams and it adds 2 grams of fiber. It also has zero grams of sugar.
That’s a great way to celebrate National Pumpkin Spice Day. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 4 tablespoons canned organic pumpkin
- 1 shot of organic espresso (or a ¼ -cup strong coffee)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Sweetener to taste
* Note, if you do not have pumpkin pie spice, you can combine one dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and use that.
Blend the ingredients together.
Adapted from a recipe by Maria Emmerich, nutrition author.