Skip to Content

Published on March 21, 2018

child getting into cabinet

Keeping Kids Safe From Poisons

Three-year-old Ella helped herself to the amber-colored liquid in a bottle on the kitchen counter. She thought it was apple juice. It was actually a cleaning product in a similar container.

Two-year-old Diego’s family was visiting his grandparents. His parents didn’t realize that Grandpa requested his blood pressure medication without child-resistant caps because of his arthritis. Grandpa kept the pill bottle on the kitchen table.

Four-year-old Amar knows what soda is and how to open a bottle. Unfortunately, his father put gasoline in a soda bottle in the garage to use for small cleaning jobs. Amar found it.

These stories are common, because every year, thousands of children require emergency department treatment for poisoning. March 19-25 is National Poison Prevention Week. This is a great time to review some safety tips to keep kids safe from poisoning.

Children under age 5 have the highest risk of being poisoned. Because they can’t yet read, children are not able to distinguish between similar products like a gallon jug of blue juice and a gallon jug of washer fluid. They are attracted to the bright colors of products and product labels, and they may recognize products from TV, even if they don’t understand their uses. Some poisons have interesting smells. Children are also great imitators and like to do what they see adults do.

Types of Poisoning

  • Ingestion: Eating or drinking something poisonous
  • Inhalation: Breathing in poisonous fumes
  • Injection: Being bitten by a poisonous animal or insect
  • Absorption: Poison that is absorbed through the skin

Prevent Poisoning with These Tips

  1. Put it away and lock it up.
    Keep any poisonous substance out of reach and out of sight, preferably in a locked cabinet. Pay special attention to the kitchen, bathroom, and garage. Purses are a particular hazard for child poisonings. They contain things like pain reliever, hand sanitizer, mouth wash, prescription medications and make-up, all of which can cause poisoning. Purses are often left within a child’s reach. Always put poisons away immediately after use. This includes medications and cleaners.
  2. Keep the number for the Poison Control Center handy.
    By calling 1-800-222-1222, you will be connected to trained staff who have the most up-to-date information on most poisons. They will tell you what to do.
  3. Read the label.
    Know how to use any cleaning products or chemicals safely by reading the label first. Read medication labels for proper dosage and to make sure you are giving the right medication to the right person.
  4. If you don’t need it, throw it out!
    Clean out your household products cupboard regularly, and get rid of anything that you don’t use. Get rid of old or expired medications by taking them to a medication disposal drop off.

What if Your Child Ingests Something?

Things to look for include a child who is acting strangely, a spilled or empty container of anything poison, residue around or in the child’s mouth or on the teeth or an unusual smell on the child’s breath.

If the child collapses, is unconscious, or is having seizures, call 911. If the child is not showing those symptoms, stay calm. Have the child spit out anything still in the mouth. Run your fingers around the inside of the mouth to remove any other poison residue. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by poison control or medical personnel. Depending on the poison, vomiting can make the poisoning worse. If the poison got into the eyes or on the skin, immediately flush with water. Call the Poison Control number.

When To Call Poison Control

If you do have to call the Poison Control Center, have the container from the suspected poison available. You may be asked to read the label to the staff member.

Be ready to estimate how much you think your child ingested. Give your child’s age and weight, describe the symptoms, and give the estimated time of the poisoning. This graphic guideline also can help.

Poison Prevention Week is a great time to go through the whole house and make sure poisonous substances are secure. A little time and effort will help keep your little ones safe.

Subscribe to our

wellness e-newsletter

Moving Health Forward

Avera is a health ministry rooted in the Gospel. Our mission is to make a positive impact in the lives and health of persons and communities by providing quality services guided by Christian values.

© 2022 Avera Health, Sioux Falls, SD. All Rights Reserved.