Creative Ways to Support Your Community This Holiday Season
Did you know that for every $100 you spend at a local small business, $68 stays in the community? Those funds can help support little league teams, community events and encourage future small business entrepreneurs.
The intangible benefits of supporting local small businesses is that they may be more likely to donate to community non-profits or other local services, and a healthier local economy may encourage residents to make better health care decisions for themselves and their families. Avera Health Plans will be supporting Small Business Saturday in Downtown Sioux Falls at participating coffee shop locations for free coffee on Nov. 30 for a limited time starting at 8 a.m. Avera Health is proud to partner with Josiah’s, Coffea, Queen City Bakery, M.B. Hasketts, and Dunn Bros in supporting local businesses in the community.
So when presented with the opportunity to support a local small business, such as buying a present at a local gift shop or eating at a "mom and pop" restaurant — make the small gestures that can make a difference for future generations in the community.
Here are some creative ways to support your local community:
- Buy coffee from a local roaster
- Buy treats from a local baker
- Purchase a gift from a local gift shop
- Support a local brewery
- Attend community events
- Get holiday ingredients from a local grocery store
- Purchase art from a local artist
- Get your oil changed by a local mechanic
- Pick up your holiday outfit from a local boutique
- Enjoy a nice meal at a locally owned restaurant
- Provide a nice review for your locally owned businesses