Vacation Blues: What to Do When Sickness Travels With You
Who hasn’t been on vacation and had a child puke in the backseat or some kind of illness halt the fun?
Besides being a bummer, injury or illness when you’re out of town can also bring on anxiety and added cost. Where do I go for care? Will it be covered by insurance? How much will it cost?
As health systems continue to make services more convenient, you have more affordable options at your fingertips when you’re away from home.
If you signed up for a member portal such as AveraChart, remember you can often email your provider for minor, non-emergent questions and prescription refill issues.
Thanks to virtual care options like AveraNow, you can also connect to a provider 24/7 for simple illnesses such as flu or rashes. Even better, AveraNow is now available in nearly every state*, and with a flat fee of $49, you don’t even use insurance.
If your ailment is more serious and needs immediate attention in an emergency room, you still have options.
“Most health plans, including Avera, offer emergency medical care nationwide for these types of instances,” said Janice Lewis, Sales Associate with Avera Health Plans. “Don’t hesitate to get the care you need regardless of what state you’re in.”
If you find yourself in need of immediate care:
- Present your member ID card at the hospital as you normally would
- Follow the instructions on the back of your card. Many health plans require prior notification for treatment outside the normal service area. If this is not an in-network provider then it is your responsibility to call.
There are also a few things you should do to prepare for vacation:
- Make sure you have your member ID with you in case you need it.
- Make sure you have important insurance contact information with you in case you need to inquire about benefits and coverage. If you’re an Avera Health Plans member, all this important information would be on your MyHealthPlan app
- Double-check your prescription stock before you leave so you don’t need to deal with the hassle of refilling them away from home.
If you’re heading out of town you’ll have access to AveraNow anywhere in the United States. Download the app before you go.
*AveraNow is available in every state, excluding Texas and Arkansas. Texas and Arkansas will be availble to AveraNow patients beginning Sept. 1, 2017.