Dinner Ready in 20: Three Meals in a Zip
Save time, yet keep all the flavor. That’s a combination any busy family can enjoy. Use this guide to get the work done in advance, giving you a set of meals that everyone will dig in on – all week long.
Start with 3 pounds of ground meat:
- 1 pound turkey sausage
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound beef
Brown the meat together in large skillet, season with salt and pepper and then drain and set aside.
Meal 1: Taco Meat Casserole
- 1 lb. prepare meat
- ½ cup diced red, yellow and/or green peppers
- 1 bag of shredded cabbage (you can use coleslaw mix to save time or find angel hair style shredded cabbage)
- If available, add 1 tablespoon each of fresh herbs like basil, thyme or parsley
- 1 package taco seasoning (low-sodium)
- Mushrooms of your choice
- Salsa (look for no added sugar)
- In empty skillet, lightly stir fry the vegetables for 3-5 minutes. You can use a little water in the skillet to add moisture.
- Pour the vegetables in a pie plate. The pie plate will be your serving dish.
- Add about 1 pound of the meat mix to the skillet to warm it, and then and add in taco seasoning and about a half-cup of water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spread about 4 tablespoons of salsa on top of the veggie mix, then top veggies and salsa with the meat mixture.
- Let it cool and cover in fridge. When done, you’ll have about six servings, which you can serve later or split between saving and freezing. You can rewarm it in the oven or microwave.
Meal 2: Stir Fry
- 1 lb. prepared meat
- 3 zucchini (one for this dish and 2 for the next dish)
- Yellow squash
- Colored pepper
- Whatever other veggies you want; try something new, such as kohlrabi
- 1 cup bone broth (use any flavor you prefer or regular broth)
- Fresh herbs (your preference, if available)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cut all veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Warm a skillet, and then add a half-cup broth. Add veggies and cook for 5-7 minutes. Season with herbs, garlic and lemon pepper.
- In another pan, warm 1 pound of meat mixture. Add about a quarter-cup of broth to moisten.
- Serve the warm meat with the cooked vegetables in combination. Salt to taste.
Meal 3: Zoodles with Meat Sauce
- 1 lb. prepared meat
- 2 zucchini, cut with a spiral slicer to make long “noodles” of the vegetable
- 1 8-10 ounce jar (or can) of no-sugar-added marinara or other pasta sauce
- ½ cup broth, bone broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat zucchini ribbons for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth (or water) to help moisten. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and place in a serving container.
- In the same skillet, warm the remaining 1 pound of meat. Add the pasta sauce, and stir to combine.
- Add zucchini to the warmed meat sauce.
Learn more about your diet and your health.