Published on May 31, 2018
Healthy Fats and how to Enjoy Them More Often
Finding the fats that are good for you is easy and delicious with these recipes.
Honey Calypso Fruit
- 2 cup fresh blueberries (1 pint)
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 cup strawberries, hulled and halved (1 pint)
- 2 cup seedless grapes
- 2 nectarines, quartered
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Combine blueberries, bananas, strawberries, grapes and nectarines in a large bowl.
- Just before serving, mix together orange juice, lemon juice and honey.
- Pour juice mixture over fruit and toss to combine, and then spoon fruit into individual serving glasses.
- Serve with toasted almonds and fresh mint.
Source: Edith Liu, MD, Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine, adapted it based on a HyVee.com recipe.
Crunchy Walnut Crusted Salmon Patties
- 3 5-oz. cans skinless boneless salmon, drained well
- 1¼ cups plain panko breadcrumbs, divided*
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine salmon, ¾ cup breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread remaining breadcrumbs and finely chopped walnuts on a plate. Using a quarter-cup measure, scoop salmon mixture into your palm and form into patties.
- Press patties into breadcrumb and walnut mixture to coat on both sides. Repeat with all patties.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry salmon patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crispy, working in batches, if needed.
- Place cooked patties on a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Divide greens, avocado, walnuts and lemon wedges among 4 salad plates. Top with salmon patties and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Serving Note: Instead of a salad, these patties may be served atop a toasted whole-grain or whole wheat bun or bread with a smear of sour cream or stone ground mustard with avocado, lettuce and tomato – and a lemon wedge on the side.
Recipe Note: Instead of plain breadcrumbs plus Italian seasoning, you could use reduced or low-sodium seasoned panko crumbs.
Source: Edith Liu, MD, Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine, adapted it based on a Walnut.org recipe.