Published on July 18, 2019
Recipe: Leftovers Buddha Bowl
Leftovers – a great meal already half ready.
Leftovers Buddha Bowl
- 1 cup leftover grain, such as rice, quinoa, couscous, etc.
- 1 cup leftover vegetables, cubed, (carrots, beets, turnips, cauliflower, parsnips, onions and kale work best)
- ½ cup leftover protein, cubed, such as beef, chicken, pork, or even plant based-proteins like chickpeas, tofu or edamame
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 juiced whole lemon
- 1 minced clove garlic
- Coarse black pepper and sea salt to taste
- In skillet over medium heat, sauté cubed vegetables and proteins until rewarmed to 165 degrees.
- Microwave leftover grains until rewarmed. Add a tablespoon or so of water to grains while reheating to retain moisture.
- Whisk together oil, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper to make citrus vinaigrette.
- Assemble the Buddha bowl by placing grain in the bottom of the bowl and arranging leftover vegetables and proteins on the top. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top.
- If leftover herbs or avocado are available, garnish accordingly. Herbs like mint, basil, parsley, chives, and coriander would be great to use for this dish!
Source: Executive Chef Nicholas Skajewski, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center