Recipe: Berry Balsamic Chicken
Try this heart-healthy, colorful and festive chicken dish from Avera Heart Hospital dietitian Lauren Cornay.
Berry Balsamic Chicken
Makes four 4-ounce servings, each with 2 tablespoons sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup seedless raspberry preserves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Season chicken with thyme and salt and pepper and then add to skillet. Cook 6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and then add preserves, vinegar and black pepper. Stir constantly until preserves melt.
- Spoon raspberry glaze over chicken and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 198 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 26 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates.
If you’d like to learn more about healthy diet choices, contact the Avera Heart Hospital Dietitian Team.