Published on March 03, 2020
Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup
Enjoy this cold-weather favorite that’s good for what ails you as well as an anytime tasty meal.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2-3 fresh parsley sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cups diced white onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ pounds cooked shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken dried stock base
- 4-6 cups water
- 1-3 cups noodles (no-yolk egg noodles or other varieties such as whole-wheat, gluten-free or plant-based)
- ¼ cup oil for cooking vegetables
- Warm a cooking pot on medium-high temperature, and then add oil, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and pepper.
- Sauté, stirring frequently, until caramelized and golden brown.
- Add bay leaf and fresh herbs to cheesecloth or a fryer filter and tie off.
- Add water, chicken base and pulled chicken. Whisk well to incorporate chicken base into the water.
- Simmer for at least an hour, or until vegetables are tender and flavors are well incorporated.
- Add noodles about 20 minutes before serving and stir until tender. Serve immediately after noodles become soft – avoid overcooking them. Better to add late than too early.