Recipe: Chicken Veggie Stew
The garden is in full swing and the weather is starting to cool, so now’s the perfect time for a hearty vegetable soup recipe. This is a great basic recipe that can be easily modified to include what is available from your garden or the local farmers market each week.
Chicken Veggie Stew
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
- 1½ cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved or sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: Feel free to substitute other vegetables you have on hand or want to try — experimenting is encouraged.
- Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart (or larger) slow cooker. You can add water if mixture looks too thick, but avoid adding too much.
- Cook on low heat for 4 hours.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, Avera Heart Hospital dietitian. Learn more about how a good diet can help your health.