Recipe: Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
Hard to top the ease of cooking in a crockpot -- and this recipe will bring out the Italian in everyone who tries it. The fact it's packed with vegetables and all their nutrients and fiber means it'll please and provide some good eating for the family.
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 pounds frozen chicken breasts or thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 8 ounces canned Mexican style lime and cilantro tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces canned Mexican style tomatoes and chilies, undrained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ½ cup sliced zucchini (cut slices in half)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
Optional spices, added to taste, include ¼ to ½ teaspoon basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, dill and rosemary
- In a medium fry pan, add oil and stir fry over medium heat mushrooms and zucchini, about 3 minutes
- Place the frozen chicken meat in crockpot and add the remaining ingredients – make sure the chicken is submerged in liquid
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- You can cook on low for 8 hours – but on high for 4 makes this melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
Source: Adapted by Avera Integrative Medicine Health Coaches from Janeva’s Ideal Recipes