Recipe: Crockpot Moo Shu Chicken
Asian flavors and all the time-saving convenience of a slow-cooker dish – that's what you get with this recipe, which has options to cut carbs and keep the delightful taste.
Crockpot Moo Shu Chicken
Makes 4 1½ cup servings, 1 tortilla each
- 12-ounce bag broccoli slaw
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (6-inch size)
- Layer the slaw mix and carrots on the bottom of the Crockpot. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce, chicken broth, garlic, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Pour over the chicken mixture.
- Set the crockpot on high and cook for 4-6 hours.
- Warm the tortillas and serve 1½ cups of mixture over each tortilla.
Note: You can use one-third cup portions of brown rice or quinoa instead of tortillas to cut carbs.
Nutrition: Calories, 260; fat, 5 grams; sodium, 595 milligrams; carbs, 29 grams; fiber, 11 grams; protein, 32 grams.
Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, is a registered dietitian at Avera Heart Hospital. She adapted this recipe from one provided by the American Diabetes Association.