Published on August 09, 2022
Recipe: Dill Pickles
You can use this pickle recipe to keep fresh cucumbers crisp and tasty in jars that you can enjoy later.
- 4 pounds small cucumbers
- 16 cloves garlic, peeled and blanched
- 8 fresh sprigs of dill
- 24 black peppercorns
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- ½ cup pickling salt
- Take steps to sterilize 8 pint-sized jars for canning.
- Soak freshly picked cucumbers in a bowl of ice water overnight, then remove and dry them.
- Pack cucumbers into pint jars, and add two cloves garlic, one sprig of dill and four peppercorns to each.
- Boil two quarts of water and then add vinegar and salt and boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot liquid over cucumbers and spices, leaving a quarter-inch of headspace in each.
- Seal and process for 10 minutes: start counting the processing time when the water starts to boil.
Learn more about nutrition and your health by contacting Avera Heart Hospital of South Dakota Dietitian Lauren Cornay.