Published on March 17, 2020
Recipe: French Onion Soup
You may have thought this traditional soup was something just for dining out. It's not -- you can make it at home with little fuss and enjoy its great taste any time you're in the mood.
French Onion Soup
- 2-3 pounds (4-5 large) yellow onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup oil (preferably canola or other high temp oil)
- 1-3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried)
- 6-8 cups water
- ½ cup dried vegetable stock base (or use a combination of prepared beef/vegetable stock and water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 teaspoons black pepper
- Chop onions to less than half-inch pieces. In a large pot, heat oil at medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened and turned dark brown.
- Add water, beef base, thyme and bay leaves and pepper. Whisk to break up beef base and incorporate into stock.
- Simmer for at least an hour, or until flavors are well incorporated.
- Remove herbs and discard.
Source: Avera McKennan Food Service Team