Recipe: Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Salad
The grill cover is off for the season! When I found some of the most amazing blueberries at the grocery store last week, I realized it’s officially time to dust off my summer salad recipes. This one’s a winner.
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1-inch thick rings
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 mini cucumbers, sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the chicken on both sides with olive oil and season as desired with salt and pepper.
- Place with pineapple slices and chicken breast on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and the fruit has robust grill marks on both sides. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice chicken into strips and cut pineapple into chunks.
- In a large bowl toss together spinach, blueberries, feta, red onion, cucumbers, pineapple and chicken.
- Lightly coat with your favorite dressing or make your own, using the recipe below.
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Shake all ingredients together in a sealed container, or whisk together in a bowl.
- Enjoy on salad, or use it as dip for fresh carrots, celery or even green pepper spears.
Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, is a registered dietitian at Avera Heart Hospital. If you'd like to get more information or recipes like this, reach out to the Avera Heart Hospital Nutrition Team.