Recipe: Healthier Eight-Layer Salad
This colorful salad is a great addition to your Easter holiday dinner. Or, use leftovers of ham and hard-boiled eggs for a special treat the next week.
Healthier Eight-Layer Salad
Makes 4 servings
- 4 cups mixed greens, such as kale, spinach, chard or romaine lettuce, washed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, whole or sliced as you prefer
- 2 cups red, yellow or green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 8 hardboiled eggs, sliced or cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅔ cup Walden Farms Mayo (or a healthier-choice mayo you like)
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt (Note: you can omit this for a dairy-free version)
- Small portions of herbs basil, rosemary, thyme and black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (use veggie cheese for dairy free)
- 2 ounces lean ham, cut into ¼-inch sizes
Note: This recipe works great if you use a glass bowl or 11- by 7-inch glass pan so your guests can see the loveliness of the layers.
- Mix mayo with the yogurt, spices and diced celery. Set aside.
- Layer the salad using this sequence:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- The mayo mixture, spread evenly
- Hardboiled eggs
- Cheddar cheese or veggie cheese
- Diced ham
3. Once layered, you can add additional season to the top, or just serve.