Recipe: Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
You can make effective use of those ripe tomatoes you’re growing (or getting from loved ones) with this recipe. It’s also high in fiber and flavor, and doesn’t include too much of anything you shouldn’t have.
Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- ½ cup drained, rinsed cannellini beans
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and discard. Carefully scoop out the tomato pulp, leaving the skins as intact as possible. Reserve about ½ cup of the pulp and chop roughly.
- Place the hollowed-out tomatoes in a small square baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine the chopped tomato pulp and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Divide the mixture evenly and fill the tomatoes.
- Bake until thoroughly heated, about 12 minutes.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, Avera Heart Hospital dietitian