Recipe: Oven-Roasted Fruit
From holiday desserts to Valentine's Day decadent treats and beyond, it can be hard to limit sweets. If you find yourself craving something, try roasting fruit. It’s a way to satisfy a sweet tooth – with far fewer calories. It also provides a little vitamin and mineral boost.
- 6 peaches, pitted and quartered
- 6 plums, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place peaches and plums in a single layer, cut side up on a baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and top with raspberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the broiler and place fruit about 5 inches below the heat. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the berries release some of their juices.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.
Notes: Since you really can’t roast fruit incorrectly, make this recipe your own. Consider adding more or less sugar or switch to honey or brown sugar to modify the taste. You can try different fruits like pineapple, grapes, figs, mango, apples and pears. They all roast very well.
Pair this treat with angel food cake, ice cream or yogurt as desired.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, Avera Heart Hospital