Recipe: Roasted Squash Soup With Pistachios
This combination of acorn squash and crunchy-sweet nuts will inspire your dining guests to create their own unique approaches to a nutrient-rich vegetables with the good-for-you fats of nuts.
Roasted Squash Soup with Pistachios
- 2 small acorn squash
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves on a baking sheet with cut-sides down and prick the skin. Bake for approximately 1 hour, until the flesh is tender.
- Let the squash cool slightly. Scoop out the flesh into a blender or food processor.
- Add the broth, pepper, garlic, and nutmeg and process until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a large saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in milk and continue to cook until heated through.
- Transfer to soup bowls and serve with chopped pistachios as desired.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, is a registered dietitian at Avera Heart Hospital