Recipe: Seafood Stir Fry in Coconut Vodka Sauce
Seafood should be a treat. Plus, its good-for-you nature goes through the roof when served over spaghetti-squash “noodles.” If you don’t have them, try a veggie-based pasta or one that is whole-grain.
Seafood Stir Fry in Coconut Vodka Sauce
- 20 medium tail-off shrimp, deveined
- 2 (about 6-8 ounces) fillets orange roughy, cut into 1-inch cubes (Note: you can use other firm white-flesh fish instead, such as tilapia. Frozen varieties are fine.)
- 10-12 medium asparagus chopped into 1-inch pieces season with salt and pepper
- 4 sweet peppers, sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 small jar organic marinara sauce (Note: use a prepared vodka-marinara sauce if available at your store. If not, use a marinara with no sugar added.)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tablespoon shredded ginger
- 1 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lemon
- Tajin (brand) seasoning (You can substitute with key lime citrus fish seasoning, salt, pepper and ground chili powder)
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado oil for sautéing (or other healthy oil)
- Rinse seafood and place in a small bowl. Squeeze juice of one lemon on top. Add Tajin, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and score the flesh about every half-inch. Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash skin-side down on a shallow baking pan. Cover with foil and bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat avocado oil and briefly cook fresh chopped herbs and garlic.
- Add chopped asparagus, peppers and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir-fry for two minutes, then add seafood and cook another 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add marinara sauce and simmer until flavors are combined, about 10 minutes. Add unsweetened coconut yogurt and serve over spaghetti squash.
Makes about 4 servings. Recipe comes from the Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine nutrition team.