Recipe: Spinach Salad is a Great Way to Stay Heart-Healthy
February is National Heart Month which means those personal reminders about the need to eat heart-healthy are important. Spinach and other greens can play important roles when it comes to keeping your most vital organ in tip-top shape. So too can fiber, “super foods” like blueberries and good-for-you protein like fish.
Spinach and Salmon Salad
Makes two servings
- 4 cups of spinach, rinsed
- Half of a medium-sized red onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup light feta or blue cheese
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 avocado peeled pitted and diced
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Build the salad in a larger bowl, starting with the spinach.
- Add onion, berries, nuts, avocado and top with salmon.
- Drizzle dressing over the top – then serve.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN and Chef Kris Olson, Avera Heart Hospital