Recipe: Spiralized Apple and Nut Salad
It’s apple season! I would love to turn every apple from the orchard into a hot apple dessert, but that’s just a little too hard on the waistline. So I’ve set a few aside for this fresh, tangy and extremely heart-healthy salad.
Plus this recipe gives me a good excuse to dust off the spiralizer.
Spiralized Apple and Nut Salad with Citrus Dressing
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large apples (try a combination of sweet and tangy, such as Granny Smith and Honey Crisp)
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, or 1 large orange peeled and segments removed
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Combine olive oil, juice and zest of lemon and orange, and honey in a jar and shake until well combined. Add salt and pepper as needed. Set aside
- Spiralize the apples.
- Toss apples with oranges, cheese, pecans, cranberries and sunflower seeds in a large bowl
- Drizzle with citrus dressing.
Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, is a registered dietitian at Avera Heart Hospital. Get more insight on nutrition and health.