Recipe: Sweet Potato Black Bean and Lentil Chili
You'll find a nice combination in this recipe — budget-friendly and nutritious — and you'll also enjoy the flavor it offers. And it's easy to make, too.
Sweet Potato Black Bean and Lentil Chili
Makes 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 3 ounces (about half of one small can) tomato paste
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, chopped onion and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, lentils, carrots, and spices. Turn the heat up to high, bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add cubed sweet potatoes and black beans and return to simmer for 40-50 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add extra water or broth as needed to thin.
If you’d like to learn more about healthy diet choices, contact the Avera Heart Hospital Dietitian Team.