Recipe: Taco Salad
Traditions stick around because we value them -- this straightforward recipe for taco salad keeps traditions in place, but it also reminds us of steps we can take to enjoy this treat without too much worry about weight-gain. And since it offers a guide for making your own seasoning, it's a keeper.
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked through
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (Note: you can use the recipe for seasoning below. If not, choose a low-sodium prepared seasoning packet.)
For the salad
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chopped bell peppers
- Finely chopped jalapeño peppers
- Chopped red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Black olives (optional)
Dressing options: Walden Farms dressings, fresh salsa or try jalapeno-infused olive oil
- Brown your hamburger and add your taco seasoning.
- Make your salad with all your fixings.
- Top with the taco meat and dressing of choice.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (You can use more for a spicier seasoning)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Keep in airtight jar or container. Use about ⅓ cup for each pound of ground meat.
- Add about ½ cup of water to the pan after mixing seasoning with cooked and drained beef, turkey or other lean ground meat.
Source: Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine Health Coaching Team