Recipe: Teriyaki Tempeh and Vegetables
There are some delicious and nutritious ways to meet your protein needs without eating meat, but just like every other specialty diet, processed foods can be a pitfall. Instead try this delicious and nutritious vegan dish.
Teriyaki Tempeh and Vegetables
- 1 8-ounce block of tempeh, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash, chopped
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grater (or ½ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Toss together tempeh, broccoli, bell pepper and zucchini in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, add soy sauce, water, sugar, rice, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Whisk to combine, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water and whisk until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture into sauce and whisk to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over tempeh and vegetable mixture, mixing gently to coat.
- Dump the mixture onto baking sheet, and then bake for 25 minutes.
By Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, Outpatient Dietitian, Avera Heart Hospital. Learn more about healthy nutrition.