Published on August 13, 2019
Recipe: That’s Not Chicken Salad
That’s Not Chicken Salad
- 1 cup thickened vegan cooking cream
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pounds beet and squash mix
- ¾ cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 2 cups red or green apples, diced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine vegan cream, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. This can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place beet mix in one layer in a baking dish with ½ cup water. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes until completely cooked through. Remove cooked beet mix from pan, cool at room temperature for 10 minutes, then cover and refrigerate until cooled.
- When the beet mix is cold, transfer to a large bowl. Stir in pecans, apples, celery and reserved dressing. Serve as you would any chicken salad application.
Source: Amanda Viau, ACE, CEC, Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center Food Service Director