Recipe: Triple-Green Pasta
With whole-wheat pasta and a lot of nutrient-rich greens, this recipe flips pasta upside-down to give you a tasty meal great for a weekend lunch.
Triple Green Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley, including stems
- 5 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup green olives pitted and sliced
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, cook the pasta for 1 minute less than instructed on package directions. Drain the pasta and save a quarter-cup of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the parsley and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the spinach and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the pasta and the reserved quarter-cup of pasta water to the skillet. Stir in the olives and cook for about 2 minutes, until most of the pasta water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese and serve.
If you’d like to learn more about healthy diet choices, contact the Avera Heart Hospital Dietitian Team.
Source: Lauren Cornay, RD, LN, is a registered dietitian at Avera Heart Hospital.