Try These Tasty Autumn Soups
Summer was sweet, but it’s gone. Bring on the cool crispness of the fall, its rich colors and plenty of soups to fight off the chill that comes with the seasons changing.
These two soup recipes from Avera McKennan Executive Chef Nicholas Skajewski and Kelsey Rounds, MS, RD, LN, Patient Support Manager, Food & Nutrition Services Department at Avera McKennan Hospital not only offer great taste – they’re loaded with nutrients and lighter on calories than you might expect.
Enjoy them as you enjoy the newness of the season.
Grilled Cauliflower Chowder
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium Vidalia onion
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, by the pinch, to taste
Optional ingredient: Cornstarch slurry, made with 2 parts cold water, 1 part cornstarch.
- Peel and halve the onion; peel the carrots and mince the garlic cloves.
- Preheat charcoal grill to medium heat.
- Place stock pot on grill, and add the avocado oil.
- Add minced garlic to the stock pot, and caramelize until lightly brown. Then add chicken stock, bay leaf, and almond milk. Stir to incorporate.
- Lightly brush grill with avocado oil
- Over direct heat, grill bacon, onion halves, whole peeled carrots, celery stalks, and cauliflower until tender, charred, and smoky.
- As each piece of produce and the bacon becomes perfectly cooked (all at different rates) take off grill, and dice approximately into ½-inch cubes. Add diced product to stock pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and when appropriately seasoned, determine whether or not you would like the soup thickened. If you would, add cold cornstarch slurry to simmering soup while whisking until desired consistency.
- Portion and enjoy! Fresh avocado, crispy crumbled bacon, and fresh sliced chives are great garnishes for this soup.
Pumpkin Coconut Bisque
- 5 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon hot Spanish smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and rough-dice onion and garlic.
- In deep saucepan, bring avocado oil to medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and hot Spanish paprika. Feel free to add more paprika if you desire a bit spicier soup.
- Sauté on medium-low heat until onion becomes translucent and garlic has browned.
- Deglaze the pan with the vegetable stock, make sure to scrape up the bits stuck to the pan – they will add great flavor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the coconut milk.
- Whisk to incorporate well, and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Carefully, pour the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup to smooth, creamy, consistency.
- Portion and enjoy! Toasted pumpkin seeds, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice on top, while optional, are great finishing touches for this flavorful soup.
Avera McKennan Food Service Recipe, courtesy Chef Nicholas Skajewski.