Consider Changes to Independence Day Traditions to Prevent Virus Spread
With the Independence Day holiday coming up, Avera reminds individuals and families to consider adapting traditions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Although the infection numbers continue to decline in South Dakota and neighboring states, there are some hot spots in the region, and some areas of the country are seeing spikes.
Please consider some of the following ideas for a safe Independence Day celebration:
- If you enjoy watching fireworks displays, consider watching one on television or one of the many videos on the internet.
- If your town’s celebration includes a fireworks display, find a hill or somewhere where you can safely watch the fireworks, while at the same time practicing proper masking and social distancing.
- If you decide to shoot off your own fireworks, limit the number of participants to your immediate family, and be sure to follow fireworks safety measures.
- Instead of shooting off fireworks, take a walk or go on a bike ride with your immediate family members.
- Get some sidewalk chalk and decorate your driveway or sidewalk.
It’s also important to remember that COVID-19 may be spread through people that are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic. To protect yourself, your family and those around us, it’s important to always wear a mask – either cloth or disposable – when you’re in public.
Have a happy and safe Independence Day!