Mother Nature’s Gym
There are many ways to use Mother Nature’s all-inclusive gym. Here are some tips to keep in mind while enjoying the fresh air:
- Proper warm up. Just as you would for any type of exercise, remember to properly warm up including a proper stretch. One way to do this is by a progressive warm-up; in other words, don’t jump right into the main sets of your workout. Gradually build your intensity and include some basic stretching.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Make sure your clothing is up to the task. If it’s warm or hot, wear breathable and light materials, preferably of the sweat-wicking variety. Sun protection such as sweat-proof sunscreen, hat and sunglasses are also key. During colder weather, breathable and sweat-wicking materials are also a good idea and should be used in layers. Depending on the weather conditions you may need a wind-or-rain proof shell. Finally, as you would in the gym, be sure your clothes are non-constricting and offer enough room for you to maneuver.
- Instead of thinking of exercise as a chore that you have to do, find an activity that you enjoy, and get outside and do it! Outdoor activities such as trail running, in-line skating and mountain biking are all great options to spice up your workout while having fun and burning some serious calories!
Also keep in mind that many of the activities and chores you perform during this season can help to burn calories as well, such as:
- 15 minutes of walking the dog = 63 calories*
- 20 minutes of cleaning gutters = 120 calories
- 30 minutes of raking the lawn = 143 calories
- 30 minutes of playing touch football = 286 calories
- 60 minutes of running/playing with your children (vigorous intensity) = 358 calories
*calorie estimates based on a 150-pound individual
What are you waiting for? Get outside and have some fun!