Nursing Clinical Internship
At Avera, you don’t have to wait to graduate in order to start your nursing career. We offer Nursing Clinical Internship (NCI) opportunities in Sioux Falls, Aberdeen, Pierre and Yankton, SD and O’Neill, NE.
If you’re one or two semesters away from nursing school graduation, you can apply to experience first-hand what it’s like to work in the exciting field of nursing through our paid summer internship. You’ll be paired with a registered nurse preceptor and will participate in orientation, direct patient care and reflective practice sessions.
This 10-week program is offered from May – August each year. NCI students work a full-time schedule of 36 – 40 hours each week with rotating 8- or 12-hour shifts (days, evenings, nights and weekends).
And it doesn’t end there. After your internship, you can take advantage of a variety of opportunities to develop your health care career – whether in clinical nursing, leadership or both.
Why Participate in the Nursing Clinical Internship?
Nursing students benefit from a hands-on approach to learning during the NCI. Take what you learned in the classroom and apply it to real-world situations while you:
- Refine and gain confidence in your nursing skills under the direct supervision of a registered nurse mentor
- “Walk in the shoes” of a nurse while being supported by helpful mentors and supervisors
- See firsthand how nurses are valuable members of the health care team
You may also be able to receive college credit through a partnership with a local university.
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible to participate in the Nursing Clinical Internship, if you:
- Are currently enrolled and have completed all but the final one or two semesters of a Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or National League for Nursing (NLN) accredited Nursing Program
- Are available to participate May through August
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Complete the application process and meet all of the job-related health requirements
- Receive acceptable evaluations from your references
Application open and close dates (all materials must be submitted by the close date):
- Avera McKennan – August 24-September 9, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- Avera St. Luke’s – August 24-October 14, 2020 at 12 p.m.
- Avera St. Mary’s – August 24-October 14, 2020 at 12 p.m.
- Avera Sacred Heart – August 24-September 18, 2020 at 12 p.m.
- Avera St. Anthony’s – August 24-October 30, 2020 at 5 p.m.
The Nursing Clinical Internship program has been approved by appropriate Boards of Nursing.
How to Apply for the Clinical Nursing Internship
If you meet the eligibility requirements, take the following steps to apply for your location of choice.
- Application: Complete the Avera employment application for the appropriate Nursing Clinical Internship position for the position. View the list of open position applications.
- Resume: Upload a resume with your application. (Note: Please do not copy and paste your resume to the bottom of your application.)
- Letter of Academic Standing: Download the 2020 Letter of Academic Standing below for your location of choice. Email it to your Academic Advisor to complete and submit by the application deadline.
- References: Complete reference requests. This process will begin after you complete the online application. You’ll receive an email from NoReply@Healthcaresource.com. (This will be sent to the email address on your application. Please check your junk folder.) Follow the steps in the email to submit your references by the application deadline above. Please follow up with your references to confirm that they received the email notification and are able to complete it by the deadline.