Nursing Clinical Internship
If you’re a student in an accredited Bachelors of Nursing Program and within one or two semesters of graduation, we invite you to apply for the opportunity to spend your summer at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Center in Sioux Falls, SD, preparing for a career in nursing. Through our Nursing Clinical Internship (previously known as the Professional Development Program, or PDP), you can experience first-hand what it’s like to work in the exciting field of nursing at a Magnet facility known for nursing excellence.
Throughout this paid summer internship, you’ll be paired with a registered nurse preceptor in the clinical setting. You’ll also receive orientation and clinical experiences along with reflective practice sessions.
After completing this internship, we hope you will consider job opportunities as a patient care tech, and ultimately become part of the Avera nursing team. Even then, opportunities abound for nurses to develop their careers at Avera, whether in clinical nursing, leadership or both.
Apply for the opportunity to enhance your prioritization, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills while you prepare for a career in nursing.
Lori Popkes – Chief Nursing Officer, Avera McKennan
How to Apply for the Nursing Clinical Internship
Nursing students interested in this opportunity should submit the following to the Avera McKennan Human Resources Department (see contact information below).
To be considered for the Summer 2018 Nursing Clinical Internship, all application materials must be submitted by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on September 7, 2017.
- Complete the Avera McKennan Employment Application: Go to the Nursing Clinical Internship position page and follow the steps to apply for the positions.
- Resume: Upload a resume with your application (please do not copy and paste your resume to the bottom of your application).
- Letter of Academic Standing: This form can be e-mailed to your Academic Advisor to complete. Please be advised this must be returned to our office by the deadline.
- Complete two Reference Requests: These will be launched by HR once you have completed the employment application. You will receive an email from NoReply@Healthcaresource.com. (This will be sent to the email address on your application. Please check your SPAM folders). Please follow the steps in the e-mail to submit your references. References will need to be completed by 12:00 pm (noon) on Thursday, September 7, 2017. Please follow up with your references to verify they received the notification and ensure they are able to complete it by the deadline.
Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center
Human Resources/PDP Program
1325 S Cliff Ave/PO Box 5045
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5045
For more information, please call or e-mail Avera McKennan Human Resources.
The Nursing Clinical Internship is pending South Dakota Board of Nursing Approval.
Important Program Information
We invite you to explore the Nursing Clinical Internship, an employment experience for nursing students one or two semesters from graduation. This internship allows nursing students to participate in direct patient care. This internship is offered annually and begins each May.
This ten week paid internship provides an opportunity to work with RN preceptors to experience inpatient and outpatient nursing care at Avera McKennan. The Clinical Nursing Internship provides hands-on and online learning, and opportunities to collaborate with nursing students from other schools
To participate in the Clinical Nursing Internship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled and have completed all but the final one or two semesters of a CCNE or NLN accredited Bachelors of Nursing Program
- Meet all Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center job-related health requirements
- Be available to participate May through July
- Provide proof of High School Diploma/General Education Degree
- Complete the Avera McKennan application process
- Receive acceptable evaluations from your references
- May 21, 2018 - July 28, 2018
- Req#: 1706221 - new PDP
- Classroom orientation is provided to familiarize students with hospital and nursing information and expectations.
- As a PRN employee, you will work a full-time schedule (36-40 hours per week).
- Rotating shifts: Days, Evenings, Nights & Weekends with Holiday Involvement.
- 8 or 12 hour shifts
- You will be expected to work your nurse preceptor's schedule.
- The Professional Development Program position is based on a competitive salary basis.
- Students will be paired with an experienced registered nurse preceptor.
- Students will be expected to purchase their own uniform.
- Students will network through blogging, reflective practice sessions and exemplar presentations.
- Housing is not provided. If you require assistance securing housing, please contact local colleges. These organizations sometimes rent space to students during the summer months.
College Credit (optional):
- Available through a partnership with a local university. If interested, please contact the Clinical Nursing Internship coordinator.
Request for Time off:
- In order to receive the full clinical benefit of the program, we encourage students to limit time off requests during the internship and plan special events before or after the internship.