Who Can Take This Course?
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is an intensive course for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course. This role and scope of practice of healthcare providers can vary greatly, so there are no profession-specific guidelines for becoming an AHA Instructor in a specific discipline. Instructor candidates should exemplify integrity, demonstrate strong ethics, communicate clearly and model a dedication to quality training.
BLS Instructor candidates must meet certain requirements before taking the BLS Instructor Essentials Course. Before attending the hands-on session, all instructor candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be aligned with Avera Community Training Center
- Have a current AHA BLS Provider course completion card
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete an Instructor Candidate Application
- Successfully complete the online portion of Instructor Essentials
Instructors Must Bring Instructor Materials listed below to class:
- BLS Instructor Manual
- BLS Provider Manual
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual or Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Provider Manual or Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Provider Manual
Instructors are required to purchase and bring their own instructor materials to the course. Be sure to review material costs in order to determine if you or your employer can afford to invest in the purchase costs required of AHA BLS Instructors. Please review the required BLS Instructor Materials List.
What to Wear to Class: Please wear loose, comfortable clothing. You will be practicing skills that require working on your hands and knees, bending, standing, and lifting. If you have physical conditions that might prevent you from participating in the course, please tell one of the faculty when you arrive for the course. Faculty will work to accommodate your needs within the stated course completion requirements. In the event that you are ill, please notify your faculty to reschedule your training.
When will I receive my BLS Instructor Card?
Instructor Candidates must pass the BLS Instructor Essentials Exam and then be monitored teaching their first course within 6 months of completing the BLS Instructor Essentials Course.