Breastfeeding Support Services
The Breastfeeding Support Services of the Avera Women’s Center at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health center has International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) who provide education and support for parents choosing to breastfeed their infants.
Milk Collection Depot
Human milk is the ideal food for babies, providing nutritional advantages to infants as well as benefits to the mother.
Breastmilk is important to a baby’s growth and development. It has been proven to decrease incidence of a number of diseases and illnesses, including Crohn’s disease, meningitis, allergies, diabetes and respiratory disease.
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center is now a Milk Collection Depot for the Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa. The Avera McKennan site collects, stores and transports the donated human milk to be processed and distributed to those in need.
Milk donations are accepted from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. from approved donors at the location listed below.
- Avera McKennan Regional Lab
Plaza 2, Third Floor
1301 S. Cliff Ave.
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Please make an appointment with Sarah or Abby prior to all deliveries by calling 605-322-7111.
If you are interested in becoming a human milk donor, please contact the Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa at 877-891-5347.
Clearing the Confusion
For breastfeeding mothers seeking assistance, the choice is often confusing. At Avera McKennan, we make it simple by providing the highest level of expertise available. Only those who have IBCLC status may use the title "lactation consultant."
Generally, the initials LC, LE and CLC indicate that the practitioner has completed a breastfeeding program, workshop or course. However, because standards among courses vary, competence cannot be readily identified. The International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners certification differs from that of an educational program. Certification is based on satisfactory performance on a specialty examination.
IBCLC candidates must have extensive practical experience working with breastfeeding mothers before taking a university-level certification exam.
Commitment to Success
Our services include:
- Preparation for breastfeeding class for expectant parents
- Avera Women's Center and NICU staff specially trained in breastfeeding with support from IBCLC for education and follow-up
- Breastfeeding follow-up as needed
- Help with transition back to work and working with area employers
- Resources and information on breastfeeding aids and equipment
- Breastfeeding products available through the Avera Living Well Center, including:
- Medela breastpump rental or purchase
- Breastpumping accessories
- Breast care products
- Nursing pillows
- Maternity/new mother bras and panties
- Education and support for health care providers in the region
Learn More About Breastfeeding
Browse the links and resources below to learn more about breastfeeding.
For questions or assistance, please contact Breastfeeding Support Services at 605-322-4490.