Are you facing a breast cancer diagnosis? If surgery is in your oncology treatment plan, trust Michelle Bryan, MD, PhD, to be there for you with expert and specialized surgery options. Practicing at Avera Medical Group Comprehensive Breast Care in Sioux Falls, SD, Dr. Bryan works hand-in-hand with your oncology team to ensure the best protocol steps for your individual diagnosis, cancer stage and tumor location.
Expert Surgery Treatments for Breast Cancer
Fellowship-trained, Dr. Bryan works together with world-class breast cancer experts at Avera Medical Group Oncology & Hematology in Sioux Falls, part of the Avera Cancer Institute. With her extensive experience, you can count on Dr. Bryan to recommend the most appropriate, effective breast cancer surgery options for you, while considering the best possible cosmetic results.
Her specialized training in surgical procedures includes:
- Electron-based intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) – Includes radiation during surgery which may eliminate the need for additional radiation or shorten the course of radiation
- Oncoplasty – Combines techniques for removing cancer along with plastic surgery methods to improve the appearance of breasts
- Lumpectomy – Conserves the breasts while providing the same recurrence prevention as mastectomy
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy – Preserves the nipple and skin of the breast for future reconstruction
- Hidden Scar™ – Removes the tumor and a slight amount of surrounding tissue through a small incision
Comprehensive Care for Breast Cancer
Benefit from multidisciplinary approach at Avera, in which a team of breast cancer experts meet weekly to discuss the best treatment options for your specific type of breast cancer. Dr. Bryan also recognizes the benefts of treating the side effects of cancer surgery through integrative medicine, so that you can experience a better quality of life.
“Find joy and gratitude in every moment, as this affects your overall health and life,” she adds as advice to patients facing cancer treatments. She is currently involved in quality performance measures research surrounding the delivery and efficiency of breast cancer surgery, and she participates in ongoing clinical trials at Avera.
In her free time, Dr. Bryan enjoys being outdoors with her husband and son, planting and canning garden produce, raising animals and fostering a strong spiritual environment for her family.