If you or a loved one receives a breast cancer diagnosis, count on Tricia Merrigan, MD, FACS, for experienced and specialized breast surgery. Dr. Merrigan is a fellowship-trained and board-certified breast surgeon at Avera Medical Group Comprehensive Breast Care in Sioux Falls, SD.
Innovative Breast Cancer Surgical Procedures
Providing an effective breast cancer surgery is Dr. Merrigan’s first priority. She also strives to give women the best cosmetic result possible. She achieves this through specialized training in surgical procedures such as:
- Electron-based intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) – Includes radiation during surgery which may eliminate the need for additional radiation or shorten the course of radiation
- Oncoplasty – Combines techniques for removing cancer along with plastic surgery methods to improve the appearance of breasts
- Lumpectomy – Conserves the breasts while providing the same recurrence prevention as mastectomy
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy – Preserves the nipple and skin of the breast for future reconstruction
- Hidden Scar™ – Removes the tumor and a slight amount of surrounding tissue through a small incision
Dr. Merrigan was the first surgeon in South Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska and North Dakota to receive Hidden Scar™ certification. "I’m dedicated to this approach," she says. "It takes a little extra effort and time to avoid making scars on the breast so that they heal nicely, but is well worth it for my patients."
Compassionate, Holistic Care for Women
"I really believe in our mission – caring for the patient as a whole," she adds. "Treating breast cancer at Avera is all about providing a team approach to care for the whole patient. It’s all about doing what’s best for each patient."
In her free time, Dr. Merrigan likes to play games, go camping and enjoy the outdoors with her family. She also enjoys riding and showing horses.