Administrative Fellowship Program
Administrative Fellowship Contact
Pam Hilber, PhD, Director of Workforce Planning
Avera will offer an Administrative Fellowship opportunity to begin July, 2020, located at Avera St. Mary's in Pierre, SD.
The Avera administrative fellowship is designed to offer a comprehensive learning opportunity and guided work experience in health care administration. The fellowship will provide direct experience in a variety of health care arenas including: rural health care, acute care hospitals, long-term care, clinic management, and health systems development.
The fellowship is designed to not only benefit the fellow, but the organization and the health care administration profession as a whole by preparing professionals equipped with the skills needed to become the leaders and mentors of the future. The following links provide information about the position.
Structure, Role & Responsibility of the Administrative Fellow
The one-year fellowship is designed to offer a moderately structured environment with a high level of flexibility. The fellowship is structured to where the fellow will report directly to the designated regional president at the facility where the fellowship position resides.
Below is a brief summary of roles and responsibilities the fellow will encounter throughout the fellowship experience:
- Attend and participate in administrative staff meetings, hospital board of trustee meetings, board committee meetings, medical staff committee meetings as desired, invited, and assigned
- Undertake, coordinate and complete selected projects according to needs of the institution and the interest of the fellow
- Make suggestions/recommendations to the President based on organizational observations
- Schedule meetings with all department heads and nurse managers to gain an understanding of departmental/unit operations
- Schedule departmental rotations in areas of interest or where suggested by the President
- Schedule rotations through other Avera facilities with the President of each facility
- Show evidence of acceptable approaches to problem solving in a systematic basis
- Demonstrate clear and concise communication, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate the ability to make appropriate decisions as needed in a timely fashion
- Communicate regularly with the President, including project progression, achievements, and potential problems
- Promote Avera and its services to fellow co-workers, and while in the general public, presents Avera in a positive light
The Avera Health administrative fellowship is for individuals who have substantial knowledge of the basic disciplines and techniques of healthcare administration and who seek to further their ability to apply these principles.
We are seeking ambitious, hardworking, committed, and enthusiastic candidates who have completed one of the following degrees from an accredited health administration program:
- Master of Health Services Administration
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Business Administration with healthcare emphasis
- Master of Public Administration with healthcare emphasis
- Master of Public Health
Previous experience in a healthcare setting is preferred.
Administrative Fellowship Application and Selection Process
Administrative fellowship applications will be available online beginning September 1. Applicants will be required to submit the online application and email all application materials.
- An online application must be submitted. The application will be available online beginning September 2 - October 4, 2019.
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Brief Personal Statement (one page maximum)
- Brief summary of the applicant's background and history
- Applicant's career goals and interests
- How the fellowship will help achieve such goals
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- One Graduate Professor
- One Residency/Internship Preceptor
- One of Your Choice
- Unofficial Transcript for Graduate Academic Records
All application components should be included as attachments in one email, including letters of recommendation and transcripts.
Email completed application materials to:
Tracy Olson, Human Resources Officer