Avera McKennan Pharmacy Residency Program
The Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency (PGY-1) and Postgraduate Year Two Critical Care, Oncology, Administration, and Psychiatry Pharmacy Residency (PGY-2) at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center are committed to providing residents with the skills and knowledge required to develop into independent and competent pharmacy practitioners. The residency programs are designed to advance clinical patient care and educational skills through direct patient care rotations, evaluation and application of current literature and educational programs.
Avera McKennan will participate in PhORCAS (Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service) for all pharmacy residency applicants.
Pharmacy Residency Program Details
- Provide pharmaceutical care to patients in a variety of settings
- Educate students, healthcare providers, and patients.
- Develop project management and problem-solving skills.
- Improve drug information skills.
- Develop independent learning skills in pharmacy practice.
- Maintain a professional and ethical manner.
- Utilize medical informatics.
- Contribute to formulary decisions.
- Complete and present an original project that contributes to the advancement of pharmaceutical care
- Actively participate in department educational activities
- Participate in the Clinical Consultation Service
- Provide pharmacy operations staffing coverage
Each residency program is a 12-month postgraduate curriculum that offers experience in acute care, ambulatory care (for PGY-1 residents only), clinical services and practice leadership. The programs are dedicated to provide each resident an individualized experience based on specific goals, interests and experience.