Vaccination is our best defense against COVID-19. All South Dakotans, ages 16 and older, are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
Schedule Your Appointment
Remember: The COVID-19 vaccine is available at no out-of-pocket cost to the recipient. Visit our vaccination resource page for more information.
A Year in Photos: How COVID-19 Brought Us Together
The COVID-19 pandemic brought a lot of hardship, but we rallied together to help each other. We are thankful for the many people who have proven themselves to be heroes through their selfless service.
Avera is working closely with state and local health officials to protect staff and patients from the coronavirus strain known as COVID-19. We’re working hard to keep you updated on this rapidly changing event.
- We have developed a New Normal Toolkit with guidance on how to help protect yourself from COVID-19 at home, work, and social activities.
- Visitation guidelines in long-term care centers vary community-by-community. Consult with your local facility.
- If you own a business, you’ve been impacted in whole or in part by the COVID-19 pandemic. This toolkit is designed to equip you with the resources needed to stay safe and healthy.
What do I do if I get sick?
The symptoms of COVID-19 can vary from mild to severe respiratory illness. Follow the CDC guidelines if you are sick. Keep in mind, about 80% of patients who have COVID-19 can be treated at home. The rate of patients who experience serious complications is only slightly higher than that of seasonal flu.
Regarding returning to work, the CDC recommends businesses not require provider notes for employees who are sick with acute respiratory illness to validate their illness or to return to work. This is because clinics and medical facilities may be extremely busy and unable to provide such documentation.
According to this recommendation, Avera will not provide sick notes from providers.
What if I need to get tested?
To request a COVID-19 test, complete our online form, call 877-AT-AVERA (8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Mon – Fri, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sat - Sun) or call your clinic. Avera has set-up processes for testing that will limit exposure. We follow CDC guidelines for COVID-19 testing.
We know you have many questions about COVID-19 testing. Below are some helpful resources to answer some of those questions:
- The price of a COVID-19 test at all Avera hospital and clinic laboratories is $140 (collection fee not included). COVID-19 tests are covered by insurance and uninsured patient testing will be covered through CARES Act funding. We encourage you to contact your insurance company to confirm coverage for testing.
- You can call the number on the back of your insurance card to confirm. If you do not have insurance and are concerned about paying for the test, you can ask us about programs that help with the cost.
- For self-pay, there will not be a bill right away. We will seek reimbursement from any applicable government programs which may provide coverage for the test. You may receive a bill should government funding not cover the cost of the testing.
- This test will be testing specifically COVID-19 antibodies, sometimes referred to as IgG or serology tests. This test may be able to detect if someone has been infected with COVID-19.
- The cost of antibody testing at any Avera QuickLabs is $50. Antibody tests at Avera QuickLabs are not covered by insurance but may be reimbursable under most FSA/HSA plans; call the number on the back of your insurance card to verify.
- Your local Avera clinic may also provide antibody testing; please call to verify.
Is COVID-19 testing covered by insurance?
Testing for COVID-19 must be ordered by your provider.
The office visit and testing to establish the diagnosis of COVID-19 will be covered at 100 percent. All other medical treatment associated would be a covered benefit and follow an individual’s health insurance coverage. Please check your Summary of Benefits and Coverage for your plan details.
A Prayer for Those Affected
Lord, we pray for patients and families impacted by COVID-19, we pray for health care workers and we pray for our communities. Father, we come before You to lay all of our fears and anxieties at Your feet. And when fear and worry fills our head, we ask You to fill our hearts with peace. Bring us clarity Jesus, so we may walk in the light of God. In Your name we pray, Amen.