Our bodies process and metabolize medication differently. Unfortunately, what works for the average patient may not work for you. That’s why finding the right medication is often a trial-and-error process.
Medicine is advancing to a new horizon at Avera – the first in the region to offer GeneFolio®. This simple yet innovative test uses your DNA to help analyze which medications match your body's unique make-up.
Inspired Medicine by Avera
With a simple, one-time blood draw, GeneFolio gives your provider access to testing that helps provide:
- Optimal dosing
- Increased treatment success
- Reduced potential for negative side effects
Receive a treatment plan guided by your unique genetic characteristics through this new level of personalized care to discover which drugs your body best metabolizes.
How GeneFolio Works
It’s quick and easy. First, ask your physician or medical provider if GeneFolio testing is right for you. If so:
- Your provider takes a blood sample in the clinic.
- A report indicates which medications you’re more compatible with and which you aren’t.
- You may schedule a follow-up appointment to discuss any potential medication changes.
- The report is saved in your Avera electronic medical record for future use and can be viewed by you in the Reports section of AveraChart.
Is GeneFolio Right for Me?
Nearly everyone will benefit at some point in their lives from receiving GeneFolio testing. Consider it especially if you:
- Are preparing for upcoming surgery
- Are being treated for behavioral health issues such as depression
- Are being treated for cardiovascular disease
- Need better pain control for chronic pain
- Have experienced muscle aches and trouble taking a statin for cholesterol management
- Take five or more medications
If you have questions or are interested in learning more about GeneFolio, complete and submit this online form. If you're not an Avera patient, you can also fill out this form or call 605-322-3050.
*Genefolio may not be available in all states.