Avera Heart Hospital
Avera Heart Hospital is a nationally recognized leader in heart and vascular care. As the region's first hospital dedicated solely to the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease, we’re focusing on the nation's number one killer. Patients receive the benefits of advanced technology and personalized services specific to their individual needs.
Prairie Heart Guest House Expansion Campaign
After nearly 20 years, the Prairie Heart Guest House is ready to modernize its current amenities and construct an additional 8 rooms. Keep even more families close during their loved one’s heart care journey through your donation.
Unmatched Heart & Vascular Care
You want the best for your heart, and so do we. Avera Heart Hospital offers a focus on heart and vascular health that’s unmatched. We offer a combination of clinical quality and the latest technology in an environment that is comfortable and friendly.
The physicians at North Central Heart, a division of Avera Heart Hospital, offer outreach in over 35 locations in a three-state region, so the best heart care is never far from where you are.
Advanced Technology & Expert Care
When you face an emergency situation, surgery, procedure or living with heart or vascular disease, you want the best possible care. Trust Avera Heart Hospital for an extensive array of advanced technology and services, including:
- Accredited Chest Pain Center – Meets stringent guidelines to achieve this designation and become the state's first hospital to receive accreditation as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Dedicated team of physicians – Provides complete cardiac and vascular services, from prevention and education to complex surgical procedures
- Advanced imaging, diagnostic and treatment technology – Includes South Dakota's only cardiovascular MRI, a high-performance CT, four state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization labs, hybrid robotic vascular lab, dedicated electrophysiology labs and a design that’s ideal for quick diagnosis and treatment of heart attacks
- Planet Heart – Offers heart and vascular screenings including calcium CT scoring and artery screening combined with other key checkpoints to help you understand your risk of heart disease or stroke
Advanced Cardiovascular Technology
WATCHMAN™ Procedure for AFib
Avera Heart Hospital is among a few hospitals worldwide – and the first in South Dakota – to offer the innovative WATCHMAN™ implant. If you’re diagnosed with arterial fibrillation (AFib), you may be a candidate for this procedure which lowers your risk of stroke without the side effects of blood thinning medications.
WATCHMAN may be a good option if you:
- Have AFib not caused by heart valve problems
- Have received a doctor’s recommendation to take blood thinning medications
- Can take warfarin, but need an alternative to blood thinners due to a history of bleeding or lifestyle that puts you at risk for bleeding
This minimally invasive procedure includes a one-time implant of the FDA-approved WATCHMAN device, in order to permanently seal off the left atrial appendage of the heart where stroke-inducing blood clots form. Many patients are able to return home within one day and stop blood thinning medications within 45 days of the procedure.
To learn whether or not this stroke risk reduction option can free you from long-term blood thinner therapy, schedule an appointment with one of our expert cardiologists. Watch Julie’s story to learn how the WATCHMAN device has changed her life for the better.
At Avera Heart Hospital, you’ll find South Dakota’s first cardiovascular MRI and first fellowship-trained cardiologist for cardiac MRI, in our area. This non-invasive test is the gold standard for high resolution imaging of the heart and its functions. This innovative technology captures high resolution images that allow us to precisely detect and monitor heart conditions without radiation or contrast dyes containing iodine.
Watch Jason Christensen’s story about how cardiac MRI allows him to monitor his heart condition.
Structural and Interventional Cardiology
Structural and interventional cardiology uses integrative treatment approaches for patients with atherosclerosis, congenital and structural heart disease and heart valve disease.
We offer the latest most advanced diagnostic testing and interventional (catheter-based) treatments, including:
- Cardiac catheterization
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Myocardial biopsy
- Fractional flow reserve (FFR)
- Coronary flow reserve (CFR)
- Chronic Total Occlusion (CTO)
Emergency Heart Care
Avera Heart Hospital has a full-service Emergency Department – a great option for residents of southern Sioux Falls. It’s also easily accessible from Interstate 29 for people traveling from out of town.
- Staffed by specially trained emergency physicians
- Open 24/7
- Short wait times
- Experts in heart care
Similar to emergency services in a small community, patients who need a higher level of care are stabilized and transported to a facility with more resources.
Know Your Warning Signs
Early detection is critical for treating and surviving a heart attack. Learn the warning signs and call 911 immediately if you or a loved one experience symptoms.
Learn about heart attack warning signs.
Choose Avera Heart for comprehensive health care services, including specialization in cardiology, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, vascular intervention and cardiothoracic surgery. We also offer an inpatient pharmacy for convenience.
Discover Avera Heart Hospital
Avera Heart Hospital was built and saw its first patient in 2001. A partnership between Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center and North Central Heart, Avera Heart Hospital is a nationally recognized leader in cardiovascular care. Discover more about Avera Heart Hospital, including: